And TGIF. I'm soooo stoked for the 3 day weekend. I'm having my kids over Sunday and we're grilling ribs.
So.......my poor hair. I talked about this a couple of posts ago. It's been falling out like mad, and also breaking off, which doesn't look as good as it might sound.
My thought though is that I need to be EATING protein, not necessarily rubbing on my head. (though at this point, I'll do anything to salvage my poor "crowing glory".
I need some ideas on protein rich foods. I know chili. But then I seem to be drawing a blank. What foods are you all eating that are protein dense and also band friendly?
Question #2. One of my goals in changing my life and making it better is to entertain more.Right now I admit that it kind of stresses me out. So, I want to develop a list of about a dozen or so "Go To Recipes". Foods that I can make for company that I KNOW are going to be good. This will help me not freak out so much. (at least about food. lol).
Some of my personal examples are shrimp dip, fruit pizza, strawberry cake, beer bread, deviled eggs.
What are some of yours? I'm looking for appetizers, salads and sides, main dishes, desserts.Not necessarily geared towards band folks, but the entire family.
Thanks, I'm excited to see what else the rest of you make.

7 comments:
Ali, I feeeeeel your pain with the hair. I've heard people talk about Biotin supplements being really helpful with hair (my MIL's doctor suggested it when she complained that her nails were weak). I haven't taken any because I really dislike swallowing pills, but I may break down and give it a try.
As for upping your protein, Greek yogurt is a great way to do it, and it can be adapted for sweet or savory dishes. I use Greek yogurt to replace mayonnaise and sour cream (as do several other banders), so you get a big protein boost for chicken salad and the like. I also eat black bean soup, and sometimes I"ll add a spoonful of Greek yogurt before I eat it. I also use the yogurt to make a dill sauce when I make fish sometimes.
As for entertaining, I've had great luck setting out an antipasto platter lately. I usually put olives, roasted red peppers (I buy them prepared at Whole Foods), chunks of Reggiano Parmigiano, rolled slices of prosciutto and occasionally halved figs (also from Whole Foods). A few basil leaves make a nice garnish on the plate.
I serve it with some sea salt crackers or crunchy bread sticks. I rarely have leftovers. It's great for a hot day because there's no cooking involved.
You could also add melon (great with prosciutto), mozzarella balls and any kind of salami or Italian meats.
A friend of mine once made deviled eggs with an Indian twist, and they were delicious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Garam-Masala-Deviled-Eggs-234401
I always like the spinach dip on the back of the vegetable soup mix box, I've made that a lot and it usually goes quickly.
I get the best ideas from watching the Food Network. My favorite show is Barefoot Contessa, and she usually inspires me to try something new.
Good luck!
Er, sorry that was so long.
I'm not sure you can do anything about breakage - but I've been using a shampoo called Nioxin. Look into that - It's helped.
The protien I'm eating is Greek yogurt, fish, cheese, skim milk, turkey and steak.
Things I love to serve when entertaining: Roasted corn and avacado salsa (green giant recipe)
Chicken Tortilla Soup, Jello Salads, Taco Salad..pretty much everything I ate before. hmmm...this isn't much help. Sorry!
:)
Jen
Enjoy your BBQ. We're going to my mom's tonight for tri-tip. =)
My favorite protein-ish lunch lately is crab mix. I buy these packs that look like string cheese. I put two in my Magic Bullet, chop a bit, then add about a tbsp of olive oil mayo and chop a bit more. I add a little soy sauce too.
Meatballs are also one of my go-to's for lunch...and for entertaining/potlucks. I buy a bag of frozen cocktail ones. I put em in a large sauce pan with a can of whole cranberries (jellied with whole ones in it) and a bottle of Heinz chili sauce. I'll add some other random stuff like wurshtishire (sp?) or a little ketchup if it needs more sauciness. Once the meatballs are thawed, into the crockpot it goes.s
There seems to be more of my hair in the drain than on my head. Tried Biotin and although I got really strong nails, the hair still fell out. I don't think it was because of lack of protein. I've heard it is a response to stress-you know weight loss stresses the body. My hairdresser recommended Omega 3 oil but I didn't try it. I've heard that the hair will grow back. Not too sure. For protein, I've switched to the same stuff as Jess-meatballs in sauce go down easy. I buy mine frozen at IKEA. I sort of think that the high protein we eat is what might cause the hair loss-but that's just my opinion.
I haven't lost enough weight for my body to go into any kind of shock and start losing hair, so I guess there is the good, the bad and the ugly to everything, which really sucks. The spinach dip on the back of the box of veggie dip that Kristin mentioned is so easy and people love it. I make crab soup with V8 Spicy Veggie Juice, 1 can beef broth, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1 bag frozen soup veggies, and 12 to 16 oz crab meat. Bring to boil and let it all simmer for 30 minutes. Don't forget to add Old Bay if you like it spicy.
Completely unrelated to your post, I finally know who you are. YAY!
I have whined about being useless with stalking some of the people who follow me through google reader. Now I know who you are. This pleases me more than it probably should. :p
That being said, I'm glad to be able to add you to my people to follow.
Post a Comment