Monday, August 23, 2010

17 Pounds in ONE Month!?

4 weeks ago, I weighed 193.8.  This morning I weighed in at 176.8. That's 17 pounds in a month. I checked back about 6 weeks to my birthday (July 6) and I was at 199.6 then.

  I'm down about 70 pounds since my pre-band diet started January 5th.

 Will you believe me if I tell you I am ready to start losing MUCH slower now? Its been a rough couple of weeks. I've told you about it in the past few posts. I've got about 1 cc in my band now, as of last Tuesday. But still haven't been able to eat much.  And still having reflux. Even drinking was difficult. I was getting back pain after drinking or eating. I ate a few bites of mashed potato and bbq'd pork on Thursday and then that was basically all I could eat for a couple of days.  Friday I had 3 bites of more potatoes. I did have some juice and some tea, but it was difficult. Immediately after swallowing, I would have lots of gurgling and pain in my chest, and needing to burp. Saturday my in-laws popped into town (totally unexpected, but they have been doing that for years, nothing new) and took us out to eat. I could only manage a few bites of potatoes, again.


I was feeling pretty miserable.  Sleeping a lot, despite the reflux. Every time  would lay down, I would hear the gurgling get worse. Plus, totally constipated. Not that I had eaten much.

  Yesterday morning I got some Kool-Aid made the attempt to take my meds. Such pain trying to swallow, and it felt as though there was something just sitting right in my chest. I felt that I needed to pb, but didn't want to irritate things even further. So I was waiting for the burp to come, but when it did, I threw up.


Massively. About 8 times total. And HUGE amounts of bile. And what looked like my food from Thursday. I wondered why I would have so much brown bile, but when I consider all the acid that was gurgling for a solid week, it makes sense. 

And then I had diarrhea. (I know, TMI).

But I felt SO MUCH better after the throwing up episode, I started to wonder if I really had  had a stomach virus. I found out 4 hours later when I tried to drink that I still was having the pain in the chest when I took a drink. Though the acid subsided quite a bit. And still exhausted.

The in laws took us out to eat once again (they went home last night--whew!), and between my fatigue and inability to eat anything made me cranky and not fun. It was noticed by others.  I ordered mozz sticks and a cup of chicken noodle soup, things I thought might go down easily. Managed a stick and a few spoons of soup. Surprisingly, the thing that I could eat (and enjoyed the most) were a few bites of my sons pancakes with syrup. Though I did PB once at home, must've taken one bite too many

Sitting at a table last night with so many good things (pancakes with blueberry syrup, bacon, omelettes, cheeseburgers with pickles, cokes and even the funky blue drink my grandbabies were drinking looked SO GOOD. I hated everyone there eating with so little thought and hated my band, too. If I could've ripped it out, I would've.  Not being able to eat SOUNDS wonderful, but no food/protein robs you of energy, makes you too tired to do anything (like ride my bike and function well at work).

This morning I decided that come hell or high water I was going to be able to drink some punch and water. Feeling super dehydrated. And I did manage pretty well! I was soooo happy. It did burn a bit going down and I had a small reflux episode when I took an hour nap this noon (stayed home from work to recooperate. )

And, I even managed to eat a little tonight.

 I called my Doc and told him all that is still going on DESPITE only having 1 cc left and he is going to send me off to get a upper GI test this week. I'm wondering if I am not having what "I'm With the Band" talked about, esophageal spasms. Whatever it is, it STINKS big time.

 So feeling better today and not so hostile toward my band. When I feel good, its so been a GOOD THING. But when I feel horrible, I have completely different feelings.

6 comments:

FK said...

ohh my goodness that doesnt sound fun at all!!! I had kinda the same deal when I was too tight and the it swelled up.. You may have tried this but what about going back to shakes for 3 days. no solids at all! also warm peppermint tea may be soothing and stop any spasming and also help with the acid. I hope it all calms down soon K xxx

Sandy said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope they can give you some answers after the Upper GI. I think that 17 pounds in a month is a bit high. You might be dehydrated so keep on drinking. You might want to try something like Gatorade to get some electrolytes back in your system.

Kim said...

Oh Ali, that sounds so rough. You've been through so much with your band. Here's hoping that you get things figured out.

Amanda Kiska said...

That sounds horrible! Feel better!

Nella said...

Ali, it sounds like you are having a rough time...hopefully the next test will help figure out all the bandster hell you are going thru! Sending positive vibes your way baby!

Bonnie said...

Well this really sucks! Who would have thought you'd complain about losing 17 pounds in a month, but what you are going through isn't worth it. Hope the doc figures out what is going on and gets you feeling better soon.