Thursday, August 5, 2010

60 Down and Reflux Redux


So......I reached 185.6 today...that puts me at 69 pounds down since starting my pre-surgical diet back on January 6th. It seems almost surreal to me that I have lost that much. Odder still, is that I have just 30.6 pounds to reach my goal of 155 pounds. (I'm 5.4 1/2). I've never been 30 pounds close in YEARS! So, I am excited and happy about that.

 On the other hand...I've had some struggles again with my band. As you know from my last entry, I have had some major reflux and was not able to eat much for over  a week. I went to my doc last Monday and have .5 cc of fluid removed from my band. This would put me at 3.5 cc's in my band.

This helped SOME, but not all. And the following Sunday and Monday nights I had such bad reflux that I woke up in a major coughing spell once, and another time, was refluxing bile. And not eating again. And when I did Monday afternoon, I pb'd so hard and so much that I threw up a half dozen times. I was so exhausted and miserable this past Tuesday (2 days ago) that I took a sick day from work and also made another appointment. Went in to the doc's and it was decided that we would take out at least half of what was in the band.  This time, the doc took all of it out before putting half back and lo and behold, it was NOT 3.5 cc's in the band, but FIVE! Which means that I had 5.5 when all this began, and I thought I had 4.

  No wonder I was struggling so. So now I have 2.5 cc's and we're going to let me get healed and rested before I go back in at the end of August.

  Yesterday morning I had just a very small amount of reflux in the morning, but my stomach was so sore and bloated, I could barely get my pants buttoned. I tried to eat, but could only manage a few miserable bites. I took an hour long HOT bath and was asleep at 8:45 p.m. Only woke up once in the night and didn't get up until 6:00 this morning.

  Today I am better, though still pretty tired. I guess it makes sense that I am tired. I figured that I have had less than 2 full meals in 2 weeks time.

 In July I had made a goal of riding my bike 110 miles and I actually rode 149! Whooohooo. But I haven't ridden once since August 1st because I have just been too tired and unwell feeling.

  So....I have lots of mixed feelings. I couldn't have lost 60 pounds without the band. I'm down to size 14 from a 20.  My blood pressure has come down considerably, my lower back has stopped hurting, I'm getting all sorts of NSV's from everyone, and until the past week or so, I actually had lots more energy than a year ago.

  But.....I admit to feeling discouraged and a bit depressed with everything that has gone on...the not being able to eat or drink at times, the reflux, the pbing.

  I'm hoping that it is behind me now that we know what the problem was.....but I wonder if I will reach the point where I will be at the "sweet spot" and I will just think positively about my band.

 Thanks for listening to my vent!

6 comments:

Marie said...

Sorry to hear you've had a hard time. What size is your band? I have about 5-6 cc's in a 10cc band and just had a slight fill and I'm really really tight. I couldn't eat yesterday and am trying to eat some yogurt this morning.

The weight loss is great - lol...but the loss of energy isn't worth it.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Sandy said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I had a similar problem after my first fill and it took a couple of weeks to get my stomach back to normal (with the band-what is normal). I think you did the best with removing more fluid. Your stomach lining is really inflamed and once it gets a chance to heal you should be good to go. Did your doc prescribe anything for the heartburn? Good luck in getting food down again. Stick to liquids and mushies/soft food for a few days and you should be good to go.

Sandy said...

Rats-I forgot to say how great your weight loss is. Woo Hoo for 69!

Theresa said...

You poor dear. The weight loss is incredible, but what a hard way to get there. I hope this does the trick. I have only had one fill and have 2 ccs in a 10cc band, but sometimes I'm so very tight, sometimes not, its so hard to judge what the right level is, I'm scared to get anymore though, because I here stories like yours, that sounds absolutely miserable. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted!

Nella said...

There is definitely days when I ask WTF but then find it all worth it when I see the new "ME" in the mirror. 69 is amazing! One day at a time...

Jacquie said...

Your weight loss is very impressive Ali. I am also having issues with a very tight band and between doc being in China and me in NY on vacation right now, its going on 3 weeks! I cannot wait to be home on Tues. and get an unfill! I've had a little reflux but pb'ing so bad that for the last 4 days, I will only eat soups/liquids!