Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Already?!

  Hello.....am I the only one in denial that it is freaking SUNDAY already? How did this happen?
Here's how it happened at my house. I blew out over 8 hours retrieving my car from Missouri.

Yep...last Friday, we made the second annual weekend vacation to Kansas City to go to Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun, I went with my 14 yo son, my 23 daughter (met up with her enroute as she lives in Omaha) and also my married son, his wife and their 3 kiddos. We took 2 cars. Its about a 5.5 hour drive from my city. We were 1.5 hours from KC when my car decides to quit. Yep....just stop running. Pulled over to the side of the interstate to see all the water and antifreeze on the cement. Of course, we were near a podunk little town in Missouri and had to be towed to the repair shop. Which was next to the most rednecky truck stop I have seen in some time. First we thought it was the radiator hose. But no,  I couldn't get that lucky. It turned out to be the water pump. Which I guess in my car, is underneath the engine and requires hours to get too and fix. We decided to go and eat at the restaurant, which was interesting to say the least. A
nd did ya'll know that Missouri still allows people to smoke in restaurants? The waitress asked us if we wanted smoking or non and we all looked at each other in confusion. Of course, everyone else in the place was smoking like a house on fire. By the end of the night, I had a major headache. But anywho..

Then they realized the timing belt needed to be fixed and that it had cracked the case which houses the whole ball of wax. And can only be gotten through a dealer or a junk yard. Neither of which is open at 7:00 p.m. on a Friday night. And no rental places for vehicles was open either. So, it ended up with my d-i-l taking the 3 kids and my daughter to Worlds of Fun in KC, dropping them off, then coming back to get my 2 sons and me and bringing us back. So the poor gal basically drove back and forth for about 5 hours. We got there at 1:30 in the morning.

Sunday I call the airport for a rental but most companies don't want to let you do a one way trip to Nebraska....not even to Omaha. And NONE of them would let me go directly to my small town. I finally ended up finding one that let me drive it to Lincoln...which is still 92 miles from home. So, my Dad and stepmom who live near Lincoln took us to a town about halfway and then J (my FORMER boyfriend I suppose, for a lack of something better...that's another post) came and got us and drove us the rest of the way home.

$200 for the rental car for one way.
 They finally finished with my car Wednesday and my son drove me back to pick it up. 3.5 hours generally, but due to all the flooding at the Missouri river, we had to take back routes. We started out about 7:00 a.m.and got home around 6:00ish. We did stop and have lunch with my dad and stepmom who were right on the way home.


So, I now have my wretched car back....and am out over $800.00. ($200 for the rental and $650 for the repairs). Really NOT GOOD for me as I am already having major money issues...the money for the trip itself came from my older 2 childrens grandmother.

I seriously was hoping that it might get swept away by the flooding. That would've solved many problems....my insurance would've had to deal with it and we wouldn't have blown out a day going after it. But NO......it was safe and mostly sound. Damn it anyway.

   THAT is why myweekend was shot and almost gone now.

Does anyone else start to get depressed around 5:00 on Sunday? It just seems to hit me every weekend.

 OH....wanted to say please excuse my previous posts with all of the errors...I realized there were some grammatical errors, etc. But....I am very challenged when it comes to creating posts...whenever I try to edit something I started earlier, I can't. And I wanted to make sure I got the posts out, as my intention is to keep up with this consistently.

Even if NO ONE reads it. I need to do it for my own sanity, really.

Hope the rest of you are enjoying your Sunday. I am off to the bookstore to let  my 14 yo pick out a video game. He accumulates so many minutes of practicing  his cello and this is his reward. I think I need some sort of reward for each day I don't need to be straitjacketed.

2 comments:

Sarah G said...

What a nightmare of trip! Glad you made it home safe!

Marie said...

I read it! Sorry to hear you had such a tough time. It will get better. It always does!!